- I’ve scheduled on extra rockhunt for Monday November 12, at 8 a.m., to the South Larremore Ranch. Please let me know if you’d like to attend.
- The following rockhunts DO NOT have people signed up for them:
Thursday, 12/13: South Larremore Ranch 8:00 a.m.
Thursday, 12/20: East Needle Peak 8:00 a.m.
Friday, 12/21: South Larremore Ranch 8:00 a.m.
Saturday, 12/22: Stillwell Ranch 8:00 a.m.
Sunday, 12/23: Ritchie Ranch 9:00 a.m.
If no one has signed up for these rockhunts two days before they are to occur, they will be cancelled. Since at least one person has signed up for each of the other rockhunts on my list, they will happen.
- As many of you know, I don’t get paid in money to lead the field trips, but I get to pick up rocks. This has resulted in my having a collection of well over 1,000 5-gallon buckets full of agate, specimens, and other rocks. It’s time for me to downsize my collection to include only the things I’d most like to cut and/or display. I’d like your opinions and comments about how I can best facilitate the sale of most of my collection of 40,000 lbs of agate, specimens, and other rocks to rockhounds such as yourselves. The collection is 90% Big Bend material, with the other 10% consisting of saleable, cuttable rock (geodes, lace agate, chevron amethyst, etc.) from the US and Mexico. I am going through it right now to catalog it completely and decide what I want to keep.
There are five basic ways I can sell the collection: as a complete collection; by the category; by the bucket as they are; by the bucket after I’ve curated the contents; and by the pound. This list begins with the least expensive cost per pound and progresses to the most expensive one, because each succeeding option requires more of my time and effort than the previous one, thus adding to the cost.
The material includes just about everything that can be found at the ranches I’ve led rockhunts on, including the Walker and Singleton, which are now closed forever. There’s material from the Woodward Ranch, and from a couple of ranches that were never opened to the public. There’s old Mexican material from the estate of a man from Presidio who bought and sold agate by the ton or truckload, and from a couple of other estates of local rockhounds. There’s some unusual material from the Gila National Forest in New Mexico that I can’t legally sell but can give to those who buy other stuff. And there’s also over a ton of slag glass.
There are also several methods I can use to sell the rocks: my website, www.terismithrockhunts; another sales channel like eBay, or the Facebook rock pages; via emails to my email list; or at sales at my home here in Alpine.
I would appreciate you letting me know whether you’d have any interest in purchasing rocks from me, and what option and method would work best for you. I’ll take all that information into consideration as I decide what to do. Obviously, there’s no obligation on either side…